Water damage may occur from a variety of causes, both natural and man made. Hurricanes, extreme flooding, storms, sewage backups, pipe breaks, and appliance failures are just a few examples. However, regardless of the source, all water damage situations require the attention of a water cleanup professional.
What do you do when water unexpectedly enters your property, particularly in locations where it is not meant to be? While eliminating water from your property may appear to be a simple task, the fact is that water leaves behind a slew of problems that most of us cannot see. Those who want to avoid long term damage, structural integrity concerns, and the feared mold development should approach water cleanup with caution.
The Effects of Water Damage
Depending on the source, water can be either clean or contaminated when it damages a property. To safeguard your health and safety, it is critical to identify the cause of the damage before beginning the cleanup operation.
Some leaks will be visible in locations such as basement floods, appliance failures, and clogged plumbing. While others, such as those that occur behind walls and beneath floors, may go undiscovered. When this happens, mold can appear as quickly as 24 hours after the damage has happened.
If you’ve ever had water damage in your house, you know that it can be catastrophic, especially if it’s not treated immediately. As a homeowner, you may do a few things to help reduce the damage until the specialists come. However, there are certain actions that while they appear to be useful, may really cause more harm than good.
If you discover water damage in your home, make sure to follow this do’s and don’ts list to limit the water damage and begin the water cleanup process as soon as possible.
What to Do in the Event of Water Damage:
- Attempt to keep the water contained inside the affected region.
- Remove as much standing water as possible by wiping or blotting it dry with a towel.
- Wipe any furnishings down.
- Place a piece of foil between the damp flooring and the furniture legs.
- Cushions and pillows on furniture should be propped up.
- Drapes may be lifted off the floor by looping them through a coat hanger and hanging them on the curtain rod.
- Take all area rugs off damp flooring.
- Turn on the ventilation system to let the damaged area get some fresh air.
- Transfer any artwork and photographs to a secure and dry location.
- To aid with drying, open all closet doors, furniture drawers, and baggage.
- Remove damp textiles and hang them up to dry as soon as possible.
What NOT to Do When Cleaning Up Water Damage:
- Do not use your vacuum to clean up standing water.
- Do not lay any newspaper on the floor.
- Do not enter any room that has electrical or structural damage.
- Do not remove any tacked down carpeting.
- Do not be afraid to contact a water repair specialist.
- Do not attempt to do any sewage water cleanup on your own.
- When standing on damp floors or carpets, do not use any electrical equipment.
What You Can Expect With Water Cleanup?
Each water cleanup situation is unique and the specific method for drying out and returning your work space to normalcy may change. You might be dealing with a minor water leak that can be repaired and you’ll be back on track in a week. More serious water disasters, such as those caused by storms or dam failures, might take months to resolve. The most crucial thing you can do is call a water cleanup company as soon as possible. It is very important to get your name on the list as soon as possible in large scale disasters when many companies may be affected. The sooner you call, the sooner you will receive assistance with your water cleanup.
Contact the Water Cleanup Professionals
In any water damage situation, the first thing you should do is call a professional water cleanup company. Excel Fire And Water Damage Restoration Services is not only the most trusted and dependable brand in the market, but it is also accessible to respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Their specialists will respond to water cleanup promptly, regardless of the type of property or the degree of damage.
A Water Cleanup Company Serving Illinois
Call Excel Fire And Water Damage Restoration Services now at (847) 961-2165 for 24 hour basement water damage restoration, fire damage restoration, or mold treatment, or receive a quick quotation from our website. Our Water Cleanup Company will get to your Illinois home or business in 30 to 60 minutes.
Have you ever wondered how water is removed from air ducts? Read more here.